Samsung Gear 2 Review

Posted by Payton Wilmott On Sunday, June 29, 2014 0 comments



For two weeks I had the pleasure of wearing a Samsung Gear 2 to see if smart watches are a necessity now or a fad. Two weeks of traveling from home to work and back again just to see how it would impact a simple man like me on a daily basis. So what have I learned within two weeks?


Specifications
First thing I learned was what was in the device I was wearing. I wanted to see what made this watch tick.
  • 1.63-inch Super AMOLED (320 x 320)
  • 1 GHz Dual Core Processor
  • Operating System: Tizen
  • Megapixel Auto Focus (1920x1080, 1080x1080, 1280x960)
  • Remote Controller via IrLED Sensor
  • IP67 Certified Dust and Water Resistant
  • Bluetooth® v4.0
  • Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Heart Rate Monitor
  • 512MB RAM
  • Storage 4GB

What Do You Get In The Box?
Well I have a video to cover this topic... Just watch and enjoy.



How Do I Get This Thing Working?
Getting the Gear 2 up and working is simple enough for any android user to do. The process is exactly the same as getting the Gear Fit setup with one manner difference of downloading the Gear Manager application instead of the Gear Fit Manger application from the Samsung App Store and installing it.


What Can It Do?
I have listed below 4 major features that I found very useful and practical for everyday use with the Gear 2 in this tropical country.


The Camera: Gone or the days when you have to take out a camera or a Smartphone to capture a quick moment. This device takes excellent videos and decent photos in well lit areas. The second day of wearing this device I caught a small spectacle on the bus and was able to share the event with my friends at the office. The persons in the video were not aware of the fact that they were being video and that is good when you are on public transport in the middle of downtown.

Watch On Remote: It’s so annoying when you sit down to watch something and can find the remote to change the channel or turn up the volume. The Watch On feature of the Gear 2 really helped me keep my cool at home these few days. I could change the channel, control the volume and much more for this watch that was always on my wrist.

Music Player: The watch comes with a standalone music player that works with Bluetooth headsets or it plays sound through the built-in speaker that’s located on the watch. This came in handy every time my phone died and I wanted to my inspirational music going when I was knee deep in work. My advice is to listen to the music with a Bluetooth headset because the loud speaker isn’t that great for music.

Phone Dialer: The Gear 2 can make and receive calls as long as it’s paired with your Samsung Smartphone. No more digging in your pockets to place a quick call to your significant other anymore. The call starts on louder speaker, but you can switch over the call to the handset when it gets too personal with the touch of an icon.

Final Thoughts
The question still remains if the Samsung Gear 2 is a necessity for everyday use, and the answer is up to you, but for me… I can’t seem to stop using it. I have been using the Gear 2 so heavily that my Smartphone is jealous, but as I have this smart watch and music I will survive. If you need hands on with the Gear 2 you can check it out at your nearest Samsung Experience Store.

0 comments:

Post a Comment